Skip to main content

General Observations on Driving {Non}Sense…


My job carried me on my trusty motorcycle - a Kawasaki Bajaj 4S Champion - to several states and on more highways than I care to count. What started as journeys undertaken with some trepidation soon became a fun activity, laden with many observations, life experiences and learnings that have stayed with me... and shall stay with me all my life. I have tried to encapsulate some observations on driving on roads, digging into what all my collective bosses hope is sincere working hours spent on a bike during the formative years of my career:

TRUCKS
Common sense says beware of them. The newspapers say beware of them. The people say beware of them… I say that they are the best drivers on the roads. They come in various styles, shapes and sizes. Here I shall attempt to enumerate the styles:
1) The 40-km-an-hour truck: This guy will stick tape on his accelerator once speed reaches 40. Result? The damned truck will stay at 40 kmph come hell or high weather! Any kind of road, any traffic – he will stay at 40. Wont pass, wont allow you to pass – left or right! DON’T ride behind him for the love of mike, for he will like as not go to ZERO from 40 in the twinkling of an eyelid…
2) The Speed Demon: If a whiff of a gale force wind passes you by, and you can see the vehicle, then you’ve got yourself a speed demon truck. The most dangerous of the lot – beware of him. Let him pass sooner than soon – and for heaven’s sake don’t follow him as he overtakes!
3) The rest of the lot: These comprise the balance 90 – 95% of all trucks, and are generally very stable and good in the driving etiquette they display. Almost never have I noticed a miss from these guys.

CARS
Whats to worry, says your common sense, your friends, your newspapers and your spouse. This only goes to indicate that your common sense ought to be locked up somewhere... your common sense, friends, newspapers and spouse are specifically WRONG. These are the real problems- direct or indirect. They generally display a complete lack of driving sense and etiquette, will overtake from right or left, will speed, will NOT show dipper, will not allow you to pass – and if you perchance manage to somehow pass, will turn the highway into a racing track! Their types:

1) The racer: Unseen. Only heard and felt. Heard as a roar, Felt as a whiff of wind that shakes your vehicle from stem to stern. They, along with speed demons above, are the real killers of the road. Unlike a speed demon, if you see a racer coming, park your vehicle by the road side. The speed demon has more sense than this guy!
2) The stable guy: Nice dependable character. Only problem: he numbers around 5% of cars on the highways!
3) The selfish guy: Balance 90%. Charactarised by:
a) I will not show dipper. I will ride on FULL BEAM, saamewaaalaa be damned! {In 10 years, I have yet to meet a SINGLE truck who does not show dipper when I dip my headlights. Fact}
 b) Thou shalt not pass
 c) Thou shalt not blow horn – or else!
 d) I will not signal
e) I have purchased the middle of the road for my good self, it belongs to me, and I shall possess it till I reach my home

What is it with these car-waalaa drivers? In my considerable experience, very few car drivers show the consideration of the dipper on highways. I wonder why? Just compare with the trucks, who always do! I also wonder why the slow truck will drive usually by the road side, while the slow car occupies the middle of the road as a matter of right?

THE BIKES AND THE REST

1) The value - lifers: These guys stick like glue to the left of the road, and will not leave come what may!
2) Duniya-hamari-hai: Twist accelerator to speed 90 and keep it there. Overtake wrong side et al – all the ills displayed
3) Miya-Biwis: Dangle all over the road, leading to honks etc etc!
4) The sensible types: Quite a few actually. Ride as per the road!
5) The Cyclists: Are extremely unpredictable!

As for the rest: you will get Bullock carts, cows, buffaloes, dogs, and many other variants, which make the road a panorama of some note!

IN SUMMATION
The point that I want to make, well wonder about, is -

  • Dipper! Why, Oh Why dont more people give dipper? And in cities, why dont people drive on dipper? As I observed earlier, trucks almost always shift to low beam when someone gives them the dipper. Cars never do. Well, almost never. Truck drivers are on the road almost all their lives, and thus realise the importance of the dipper... 
  • When a vehicle approaches on full - beam, it blinds you for a few seconds. Secondly and far more importantly, you dont get any idea what lies behind this full-beam gentlemen. Why should it be so difficult for anyone to understand this simple point? It becomes a task just to navigate your vehicle... 
These are just some random thoughts that passed through my mind today while returning home after dark... a chance encounter with a gentleman / lady (as the case may be) brought my thoughts round to this... 

(This post has been inspired by one of my older posts on my old blog on mouthshut)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PK, The Movie : One Of The Best...

\ PK : A Movie Ahead Of Its Time; A Movie That Is A Very Vital And Current Need! I dont normally review movies; my blog does not lend itself to such an activity, given its positioning as one that asks some tough questions to Indians. I am making an exception for this movie, not because it is a landmark movie {which it is}, but because this movie is also one that asks some pretty blunt, and to some people, offensive questions.  It is rather sad and humbling to see the vigorous protests to this movie, and some cases of active on-street protests and interference in some places. Sad, because there is almost nothing in the content that should excite such actions; and humbling because it is a painful reminder that we as a nation have still a ways to go in our quest for true development! Before I move onto the movie, I have just one question : did the protesters also protest to Haider? If no, you did not find the negative portrayal of The Indian Army objecti

Tarkeshwar Mahadev : Pune Hidden Gems

What do you do when you have something good, something that is praiseworthy, and something that can be an attraction? Answer, if you are in Pune – keep silent about it, tell no one. This is seemingly exaggerated – perhaps it is exaggerated; but I am flabbergasted by a series of unbelievable locations that I have visited in Pune City – within main Pune City, mind you . These are not well known – at least not one single localite informed me, even on asking . At least those I talked. If I didn’t talk to the right people, perhaps I am in the wrong. But – if you expand your vision to TV, Cinema, Popular opinion, hotels – the situation above gets proof. I earlier visited Pune on a family holiday, stayed in a good Hotel. Not one Hotel informed me of these; not one person – Taxi, Tour Guide – even mentioned these . Thus, it seems to me that Puneites don’t realise how lovely a city they have, how mesmerizing are its many, many tourist-worthy places, how rich and unspoiled,

Book Review : Chhatrapati Shivaji

Chhattrapati Shivaji stands as one of the most celebrated medieval heroes in Modern India; it is a name that touches a chord in almost every Indian, and is a powerful force to reckon with even today, three centuries after his death. He is present everywhere you can see; he is one of the few to withstand the onslaught of naming everything in sight after the Nehru family. A Chhatrapati square her, a Shivaji Terminus there – many cities have honoured themselves with some landmark, statue, street or square in his name. Such is his current followership, and so powerful is his presence. This makes reviewing any book related on this personality a big responsibility, a tough task  – and not one to be taken with insincerity, or with bias,  or attitude. I had always thought of The Chhatrapati as a tall personality, a commanding and great Indian; but had never given a thought to the pull, the deep connect and the powerful influence this genius had on me; as I read the current book, as I t